Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

mash tun false bottom modifications

What's the first thing you do when you get your shiny new Blichmann Boilermakers? If you're like me, you start cutting new holes and welding things onto it. But most of my friends will tell you that you shouldn't be like me, so do this at your own risk. In my last post, I explained how I modified some rotating racking arms from St. Pats for the kettle main ports and return ports. Pictured below is the new mash tun pick up tube and how I handled modifying the Blichmann false bottom to accommodate the new pick up tube.  I added additional pictures of the false bottom work in the Bluto 555 kettles gallery, as well as some additional pics of work on the kettles.


The hole pictured above is plenty big enough to allow inserting and removing the pick up tube.  A couple of additional stainless washers are used to slide over the pick up tube before adjusting it into place, and then you slide them back down to rest on top of the welded-on washers, in order to prevent grain from flowing through around the pick up tube during recirculation.

No comments:

Post a Comment